On average, foster children could move seven times before the age of 18, usually abruptly leaving their home with very few belongings.
The Families Helping Families of Iowa Clothing Closet is a free resource for foster families to find clothing, shoes, and supplies for infants, children, and teens in foster care, relative placement or other approved placement and those adopted from foster care. You’ll get to choose from current styles for any season!
Volunteers staff the Clothing Closet where donations from our wonderful community are accepted, sorted and displayed like a retail store.
You MUST provide the following information each time you visit the Clothing Closet:
- Your Contact Information
- Child’s First Initial
- Child’s Last Initial
- Child’s Age
- Child’s Gender
- Child’s Medicaid ID Number
- Caseworker Name
- Child’s Status
If you do not have this information with you, you will not be allowed to shop. If you have any questions, please ask our office staff.
Who qualifies for the Clothing Closet?
The Clothing Closet is only available to children who are currently in foster care, relative placement or other approved placement by the Department of Human Services and those who have been adopted from foster care. Children must be between the ages of newborn and 18.
When can we shop from the Clothing Closet?
Youth or their caregivers can shop the Families Helping Families of Iowa Clothing Closet once per season or as a child outgrows items. Please use reasonable discretion for how often you visit the Clothing Closet.
Donating to the Clothing Closet
Items We Accept:
- New or gently used clothing items for children newborn to 18
- New socks
- New underwear
- New or gently used bras or sports bras
- New or gently used shoes
- Baby equipment – car seats, high chairs, pack & plays and strollers only
- Quilts or blankets
Items We Cannot Accept:
- Baby formula
- Clothing more than four years old
- Clothing with stains, pet hair, holes or adverse odors
- Clothing with excessive wear such as pilling or fading
- Clothing that is inappropriate for children/teenagers
- Furniture of any kind
- Hats (besides winter caps)
- Household Items
- Men’s or women’s clothing (we need clothing that teens will wear)
- Prom/homecoming dresses
- Slippers, dress shoes, high heels
- Sporting gear (balls, cleats, pants, pads)
- Toys (even baby toys)
- Used socks and underwear
Donations may be delivered to our office located at 6000 7th St SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8am to 3pm and Sundays, 1pm to 3pm.
Another great way to support FHF is to donate your items to the Families Helping Families Charity Account at Stuff Etc. Once an item sells, we will receive 40% of the sale price. We use these funds to help cover Clothing Closet expenses. Click HERE for a list of items they accept year-round.