FHF launched the Spread Your Wings Activity Scholarship Program (SYW) in 2009 to help provide scholarship funding for children in foster care by providing support to participate in extracurricular activities.
Studies have shown that extracurricular activities for children help increase awareness in the classroom and provide a sense of belonging, which positively impacts self-esteem and self-discipline.
Funded Activities & Experiences
The SYW program funds a range of activities for school-aged children including, but not limited to:
- Art lessons
- Music programs and lessons
- Sports – including gymnastics, martial arts, soccer, football, basketball, etc.
- Summer camps
- Other children’s interests
Program Fees Covered by Spread Your Wings
SYW scholarships also help cover various program and activity fees, including but not limited to:
- Membership fees
- Uniforms and/or specialty footwear
Who Qualifies for Spread Your Wings Activity Scholarships?
Any child in foster care between the ages of 2 and 18.
How to Apply for Spread Your Wings Activity Scholarship
- Enroll your child in the class, lesson, sport or activity and request an invoice from the vendor or organization with whom you’re enrolling. Include the invoice with your application. Invoices can be scanned and uploaded below, emailed to email@example.com or dropped off or mailed to our office at 6000 7th St SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404.
- Apply for a scholarship through our online application at the bottom of this page.
- You will be notified if you application is approved or denied.
- If your application is approved, FHF will pay the vendor directly. We will not pay for any approved SYW activities without an invoice. Do not pay your invoice prior to approval of your application as we will not reimburse you.
Caregivers only need to apply for a specific class or activity one time. You can only apply for one unique activity every 12 months, per child. FHF will continue to pay for the activity as long as the child is enrolled and a monthly invoice is received.
Please note: Each new activity or new enrollment for another child requires the completion of a new application.
Please Read: Funding Requests & Information
Families should first request financial assistance through the desired program before applying for funding from FHF. Applications must include an invoice for the cost of the activity. In order for funding to continue, an invoice must be provided each month that funding is requested. Failure to provide an invoice each month will result in denial of funding. Missed invoices will not be paid after the due date.
Funding will not cover items for which the State of Iowa will reimburse. All requests to FHF are subject to board approval before funds are granted. FHF reserves the right to reject funding for any reason. Checks are made payable directly to the business or organization providing the activity. No checks will be issued directly to foster parents. We are unable to reimburse foster parents for activities which are already paid.
Program is limited to one activity, up to $500 per child every 12 months. (New and renewal applications for the same child may be submitted during the 12th month). This policy only applies to new applications. If you are already receiving funding through our SYW program, your funding will not change during the current term.
**If you feel an exception is vital for the youth’s ability to participate in an activity please call our office at 319-294-9706**
Please note: Children who have been adopted from foster care do NOT qualify for this program.